Often providing the perfect breeding ground for the growth of Acanthamoeba bacteria, sticking to the contact lens causing infections in the cornea, causing acute pain. With prescription drugs often having a high failure rate and resulting corneal transplants having a high failure rate, suffers are often faced with conclusive sight loss.
Additionally, infections deriving from contact lens cause up to 6000 cases of microbial keratitis each year, leading to inflammation and ulceration of the cornea that can conclude with vision loss. With a shortage of oxygen being caused between the lens and the surface of the epithelial tissue, small wounds are created which provide the ideal breeding ground for the bacteria.
Contact Lens Caution
- Acanthamoeba is most common in the summer, it is vital to increase vigilance during these months.
- Complete prevention is paramount, as wearers often don’t realise they are infected until irritation occurs, by which time it is often too late to achieve successful treatment.
- Try to only wear lenses for 8 hours at a time, removing them on a night when sleeping, washing and during swimming.
- Do not over use the contact lens, it’s important to dispose of them after a month.
- Different lenses require particular care, always use the prescribed disinfecting solution, eye drops and enzymatic cleaners recommended by an eye care professional.
- Before handling lenses, thoroughly wash your hands with non-cosmetic soap as to avoid the transferral of irritants to the lens on application.
- Remove surface building on the lens through gently rubbing it with your index finger.
- Use a sterile solution or hot tap water to clean the storage case, allowing it to air dry thoroughly and replacing fully after 3 months.
- Using tap water to clean lenses directly can cause infection issues in the future. Micro-organisms can live in the water, even when distilled, leading to eye infection.
Freedom From Lenses – What Are My Options?
Removing the hassle and dangers of using contact lenses, Bettersight provide a series of specialist eye procedures that can eliminate your lens dependency. For those under 45 years, Phakic lens implants are available for those with a large prescription. Under 45 with an ordinary prescription? LASEK and Femtosecond LASIK laser eye correction can provide long lasting vision solutions.
If you are over 45 with a stable prescription and are deemed suitable at a Bettersight Appointment, Clarivu lens replacement offer a fantastic alternative to the daily contact lens chore. Bettersight Medical Director, Shafiq Rehman, is one of the leading experts in Clarivu in the UK and a leading endorser of the benefits achieved through this customised refractive lens procedure. Replacing the natural eye lens with a synthetic alternative, multifocal or toric lenses are available to suit your prescription, meaning the elimination of contact lenses and the dangers of infection.